* These short hairs serve to protect the eye from foreign matter, such as dirt, dust and other forms of debris that small enough to get into the eye.
* The curved shape of the eyelashes help to slip sweat and foreign particles out of the eyes.
* Although not a replacement for protective eye wear like sunglasses, they do help filter out the sunlight that shines into your eyes.
* As eyelashes are extra sensitive to being touched. They provide warning that an object (i.e. insects or sharp objects) is getting dangerously close to the eyes.
* Help reduce airflow over the eye, keeping evaporation of moisture from the eye to a minimum and minimize the depositing of debris on the eye.